Monday, August 1, 2011

Heeeeeeere Kitty Kitty Kitty...

So E came home (duh) a few weeks ago, and I haven't posted anything about his interactions with the cats. I have heard from several people that this will not do and I need to post some kitty pics and baby pics and kitty-and-baby-pics. And, you know, talk about introducing them.

The day we came back from the hospital was kind of crazy (as previously explained) but it was surprisingly easy to introduce E into the home. We left him in his car seat, and brought him into the living room, and put him on the floor and just sat next to him while the cats came and checked him out. Squeak had little interest, really, and Moo just kind of sniffed around. Chimi seemed interested, but was keeping his distance.

Over the next few days we had some one-on-one time with E and the cats, letting Moo and Squeak into the bedroom for limited amounts of time to sit with us while we held E. Moo is now perfectly happy with E, and likes to sit on the bed and watch while I nurse him. I think it's because babies smell like milk.

Strange aside, actually; one of the few times I've seen Moo, Squeak, and Chimi all happy to be in the same place was when they were all hanging out with E while E was in his Crack Chair (My little Lamb Infant Seat) napping. Chimi's a little hard to see, but he's there to Moo's left.
The cats have also been learning new tricks from li'l E. Chimi in particular has learned to mimic his "feed me" cry. The first time he did it was priceless. I was sitting in the rocking chair, and E was crying, a very rhythmic and now unmistakeable "I'm hungry" cry. Chimi was sitting by the couch, watching intently. As soon as E gets his mouth full, he goes silent, and Chimi lets out the perfect imitation of him, and looks at Angela with his hopeful food eyes. It took him a while to get his food, as the laughter was in full effect for several minutes.

It makes me hopeful, seeing the cats getting along better with E in the house. Who knows, maybe his perfect-baby calming effect will last his whole life, and I can say "Yeah, I'm the mother of world peace."

No comments:

Post a Comment